Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bye-bye Mama; songs

A few weeks ago, when Joey didn't want me to be with him as he was settling to sleep (he only wants Daddy), he told me, "Bye-bye Mama. Open gate, downstairs, Mama!" I not only couldn't be near him, I couldn't be in the room, I couldn't even be on the same floor! Well, he's learning about "farther away," I suppose. A couple nights ago when it was my turn to get him to sleep, it was, "Bye-bye Mama. Go new car Mama!" Not only get out of the room, go downstairs, you can't even be in the same house, Mama!

I'm not hurt, I'm just amused and impressed by his thought process!

...

This morning, I was trying to get him back to sleep because he woke wayyy too early, so I sang,

Rock-a-bye baby, in the treetops
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall
And down will come baby, cradle and all


What a creepy song! But it pretty much always settles Joey. Then he said, "Mama sing song fall water." I wasn't sure what he was talking about, so I asked him, "Fall water? What song?" And he said, "Sing song, late night. Fall water." I said, "This song, Joey?" and I sang,

Late at night, one night in June
Joey and I went fishing by the light of the moon
Joey caught a pickerel and I caught a bass
Joey fell in the water right... up... to... his...
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies
Joey fell in the water right... up... to... his... eyes!


I said, "That song, Joey?" And he said, "Yes," and curled up next to me sleepily.

No comments: