Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Lili story

I was sitting in the chair in the living room. Lili had been playing on the floor but she was now over at the couch, trying to climb up. Joey was playing upstairs and John was in the shower so it was just the two of us. I called her over to come sit in the chair with me, but she was insistent; she really wanted to get onto the couch. She isn't quite big enough to get up there herself. She again said "no" when I suggested she come sit in the chair with me. I asked, "Lili, why do you want to get on the couch?" She held her hand up to her ear as if cradling a phone there, said "'Ello" and pointed determinedly at the arm of the couch. There sat John's phone. She was telling me she wanted to get up on the couch to play with John's phone, so she could hold it to her ear and say "Hello" in the way that she does. I was so impressed by how well a little girl who has so few words was able to articulate such a complicated concept!

No comments: